Tuesday, July 29

Los Angeles Earthquake!

If you don't live in Southern California then you probably didn't feel the earthquake that took place a little over an hour ago. I had just finished my lunch when the shaking started and I went and stood in a doorway (forgetting that we no longer are told to do that- we are supposed to go under a sturdy desk or table). I was really grateful that it was a rolling sensation and not the jerking type that I found out later happened at the epicenter in Chino. I live about 5o miles from Chino, and I was glad that it didn't do very much damage at all.
The reason I am bringing this up is due to the fact that the earthquake got me to thinking. I felt the initial panic as I was standing in my kitchen doorway wondering how long the shaking was going to last, and will it get worse than it is right now? Afterwards I felt gratitude because I had gotten up and taken a shower and got dressed this morning. I had a difficult night last night and I haven't been feeling all that strong, so I decided to sleep in. At the rate I was going, I probably would have stayed in the house in my pj's for the rest of the morning, but something told me to get myself together and put some clothes on.
My thoughts after the event settled on those who are dealing with illness. How awful to be someone that needs to rest all day long, or even worse, someone who is bedridden and can't fend for themselves? My heart really goes out to those in this situation- I have to trust that they will be taken care of, but at the same time I can only imagine how terrified someone in this predicament might be. I know that there have been times in my life when I didn't have an ounce of energy left. How could I have handled an incident like an earthquake or some other disaster that required me to be at the top of my game.
I suppose I am only speculating (as usual)- I have to remember that I am always taken care of and that those who are truly ill will be cared for. I realize that this was not a major earthquake, but it did get my wheels turning. Faith has to be my main focus, but I also have to be prepared (batteries, flashlight, first aid kid, water, cash, canned food, prescriptions), and sadly I only have a few of the items listed above. I am happy that today I received a wake up call. I live in a place that is subject to startling changes at anytime, and it's my job to make sure that not only I am taken care of, but that my loved ones are prepared also.

1 comment:

  1. I live in Minnesota, we get tornadoes in the summer, it's a similar feeling. There are only a few places that are not prone to natural disasters, especially as global warming intensifies, we are all going t be affected. I, IMHO, expect more severe weather events. I think that we need to live and design our buildings and lives to coexist with Earth. We should build homes that can withstand all extremes of Earth based on the region, plus these homes should enhance Earth and nature and do no harm.
    Unlike some, I think the government's duty is to provide assistance to vulnerable people, because any one of us alone is vulnerable but when we come together and create social protection networks then we all benefit. After all in the U.S we are the government, it is for the people and by the people. We are all in the same boat.
    We need to respect Earth and we need to respect the welfare of others. Every time you see a vulnerable person, remember this person could (tomorrow) be you!

    ReplyDelete